YAWA at Autism Speaks Walk
Georgia Association for Positive Behavior Support Conference
- The GAPBS is a network of the national Association for Positive Behavior Support (www.apbs.org).
- The Purpose of GAPBS is to increase visibility of positive behavior support in our state of Georgia.
- For Instance the theme of this year's annual conference was "Connecting School, Home, And Community through Positive Behavior Support."
- Y.A.W.A was there to show how we promote the expansion and dissemination of positive behavior support in our communities through educational activities and creating home settings.
Barnes & Thornburg Lunch and Learn
- During Autism Awareness members of Y.A.W.A hosted a lunch and learn about Autism and the Y.A.W.A program.
- Y.A.W.A members gave speeches and got to sit down and eat lunch with professionals at Barnes & Thornburg Law Firm.
Learning to Navigate Around the City Using MARTA & UBER
Fun & Games
Game Night at Main Event
- Building friendships one frame at a time.
- Enjoyed a classic, friendly game of bowling while eating snacks and drinks from the snack bar.
Big Apple Circus
- Watched award winning acts from around the world.
- Acts included magic, acrobats, and many more circus acts.
- Big Apple Circus embrace Autism with amazing artistry.
- Certain performances include sensory adaptations to welcome ASD patrons and their families. There are also modifications to sound and lighting.
Atlanta School of Massage
- Experienced what it was like to get a professional (student) massage.
- Learned how to stretch and how to take care of our skin.
- At the end we all walked out relaxed and calm.
Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site
- Experienced a world of adventure filled with dinosaurs and live animals such as snakes.
- Also sat down in the planetarium and learned about constellations in the sky.
Bodies The Exhibit and California Pizza
- Learned all about our human bodies.
- Over 200 actual human bodies and specimens dissected and displayed.
- Afterwards we all went and enjoyed some hot oven fresh pizza at California Pizza Kitchen.
Dinner and a Show at Nakato
A Night Out at the Alliance Theater
- We started with a meal at Tin Lizzy's.
- Explored public transportation (Marta) around Midtown. For a couple of the YAWA members this was their first time riding the Marta.
- We finished the night with a play at the Alliance Theatre.
High Museum of Art
- We saw exhibits Al Taylor, What Are You Looking At?
- Amy Elkins: Black Is Day, Black Is Night