YAWA at Autism Speaks Walk
Georgia Association for Positive Behavior Support Conference
- The GAPBS is a network of the national Association for Positive Behavior Support (www.apbs.org).
- The Purpose of GAPBS is to increase visibility of positive behavior support in our state of Georgia.
- For Instance the theme of this year's annual conference was "Connecting School, Home, And Community through Positive Behavior Support."
- Y.A.W.A was there to show how we promote the expansion and dissemination of positive behavior support in our communities through educational activities and creating home settings.
Learning to Navigate Around the City Using MARTA & UBER
Fun & Games
Game Night at Main Event
- Building friendships one frame at a time.
- Enjoyed a classic, friendly game of bowling while eating snacks and drinks from the snack bar.
Big Apple Circus
- Watched award winning acts from around the world.
- Acts included magic, acrobats, and many more circus acts.
- Big Apple Circus embrace Autism with amazing artistry.
- Certain performances include sensory adaptations to welcome ASD patrons and their families. There are also modifications to sound and lighting.
Atlanta School of Massage
- Experienced what it was like to get a professional (student) massage.
- Learned how to stretch and how to take care of our skin.
- At the end we all walked out relaxed and calm.
Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site
- Experienced a world of adventure filled with dinosaurs and live animals such as snakes.
- Also sat down in the planetarium and learned about constellations in the sky.
Bodies The Exhibit and California Pizza
- Learned all about our human bodies.
- Over 200 actual human bodies and specimens dissected and displayed.
- Afterwards we all went and enjoyed some hot oven fresh pizza at California Pizza Kitchen.
Dinner and a Show at Nakato
A Night Out at the Alliance Theater
- We started with a meal at Tin Lizzy's.
- Explored public transportation (Marta) around Midtown. For a couple of the YAWA members this was their first time riding the Marta.
- We finished the night with a play at the Alliance Theatre.
High Museum of Art
- We saw exhibits Al Taylor, What Are You Looking At?
- Amy Elkins: Black Is Day, Black Is Night